Citizenship Ceremonies

The City’s role is to conduct citizenship ceremonies and to present candidates with their citizenship certificates. Local governments only facilitate the ceremony process.

The Department of Home Affairs role is to process and approve your citizenship application. Enquiries regarding becoming an Australian citizen are to be directed to the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs

IMPORTANT: Please do not apply for an Australian Passport until you have attended an Australian Citizenship Ceremony. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Australian citizenship?

Please contact the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs for details on how to apply for Australian citizenship by one of the following:

Phone: Citizenship Information Line: 131 8 80

Website: Australian Citizenship

Application packages can be downloaded from this site.

Visit: Wellington Central, 836 Wellington Street, West Perth WA 6005

Postal: Locked Bag 7, Northbridge WA 6865

I have received my letter of approval. When can I attend a ceremony?

The City will provide you with a ceremony date once notification is received from the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs that your citizenship status has been approved.  These notifications are received from the Department on an unscheduled basis. 

How long will I have to wait before I get an invitation to my ceremony?

Once the Department has approved your citizenship status and the City receives a report with your details, an invitation will be sent to you inviting you to the next available citizenship ceremony. 

Invitations are sent out approximately 6 weeks prior to a ceremony.

Do I need to attend a ceremony to receive my certificate?

Yes. Candidates are required to attend a citizenship ceremony and take the Pledge of Commitment in order to validate their citizenship and receive their certificate.  An applicant does not become a citizen until they have read out aloud the Pledge of Commitment.

What if I can’t attend the next scheduled citizenship ceremony?

Notify the City as soon as possible if you cannot attend the ceremony you have been invited to and we will notify the Department.

How long does the citizenship ceremony take?

The citizenship ceremony generally takes 30 to 40 minutes and is followed by photos taken by the City photographer.

When and where are the ceremonies held?

Ceremonies are usually held at the Geraldton Civic Centre, 63 Cathedral Avenue, Geraldton.

Due to COVID-19 physical distancing requirements a change of venue may be required. Please check your invitation for most up-to-date information.

The following is an indication of when ceremonies will be held in 2023:

Thursday 26 January 2023 - AUSTRALIA DAY at 3pm

*Public ceremony

Friday 10 February 2023

at 11am

*Invitation only

Friday 10 March 2023

*Invitation only

Monday 1 May 2023 at 9.30am

*Invitation only

Thursday 8 June 2023 at 9.30am

*Invitation only

*  NOTE - capacity limits apply, please check with your ceremony officer for more detail.

The City will send you an invitation to a ceremony once notification has been received from the Department. 

IMPORTANT: It is important to RSVP to the e-mail from the City to confirm your attendance.

What do I need to bring with me to the ceremony?

You are required to bring with you photographic identification such as your current driver’s licence or passport.

If you do not hold a driver’s licence or current passport, additional forms of identification may include: credit cards, Medicare card or bills showing your names and current address.

These documents are required as proof of identification by the City and the Australian Electoral Commission.

Before the ceremony commences you must fill out and sign the Enrolment to Vote form and the City can process it for you or, you can take the form away to fill out in your own time and post to:

Postal: Australian Electoral Commission, PO Box 7106, Geraldton WA 6530

Website: Australian Electoral Commission

What Pledge am I taking? What is the difference between an oath and an affirmation?

There are two Pledges, one that mentions God (oath) and one that does not (affirmation). You will receive your nominated Pledge on a Pledge card when you attend your ceremony. If you are making an oath, you are welcome to bring a holy book of your choice to make your Pledge on (the City of Greater Geraldton does not supply holy books for the purpose of taking the oath, as per the Australian Citizenship Act 2007).

May I bring guests along?

Yes.  Friends and family are more than welcome to attend the ceremony however due to current COVID-19 physical distancing requirements numbers may be limited.

Please check with your ceremony officer prior to your ceremony for current advice on how many guests are permitted per person.

What is the dress code?

The ceremony is an important event where you make a commitment to Australia. You and your guests should be dressed in formal or smart casual clothing and groomed to reflect its significance.

If the ceremony is being held outdoors, you may want to take a hat and some sunscreen.

Your invitation to the ceremony may include additional information regarding the standard of dress required for the ceremony.

Can I take photographs?

Guests are allowed to take photos if they wish. An official photograph will be taken of each candidate as they receive their certificate from the Mayor. You can contact the City to receive a copy of this photo.

Do children need to attend citizenship ceremonies?

Please contact the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs for further information.

When can I apply for an Australian passport?

You must attend your ceremony and receive your citizenship certificate before you can apply for an Australian passport.

The original certificate will be required when applying for a passport. For more information about Australian passports, please visit or call the Australian Passport Office on 131 232.

I have lost my citizenship certificate, what should I do?

The City cannot re-issue or replace citizenship certificates. You will need to contact the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs on 131 880 to arrange a replacement certificate.

For further enquiries, please contact the City on (08) 9956 6600.