Reporting Suspected Fraud or Misconduct

The City of Greater Geraldton is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, probity and accountability in its operations. 

The City has zero tolerance to fraud, corruption or misconduct. Suspected fraud, corruption or misconduct will be reported , investigated and resolved in accordance with internal policies and procedures and the Corruption. Crime and Misconduct Act 2003. All legal obligations to the principles of procedural fairness will be met.

Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003

The City does not tolerate corrupt or other improper conduct, including mismanagement of public resources, in the exercise of the public functions of the City and its officers, employees and contractors.

The City is committed to the aims and objectives of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003 (PID Act). It recognises the value and importance of contributions of employees to enhance administrative and management practices and strongly supports disclosures being made by employees as to corrupt or other improper conduct.

The City will take all reasonable steps to provide protection to employees who make such disclosures from any detrimental action in reprisal for the making of a public interest disclosure.

The City does not tolerate any of its officers, employees or contractors engaging in acts of victimisation or reprisal against those who make public interest disclosures.

More Information

View Don't be afraid to speak up - a guide to the Public Interest Disclosure Act.

View the Public Interest Disclosure Internal Procedures

View the Public Interest Code of Conduct and Integrity

View the Public Sector Commission - A guide to public interest disclosures in WA public authorities

Public Interest Disclosure Officers : B Pearce, M Adam.

Public Sector Commission (PSC)

Anyone can report suspected minor misconduct by a public officer to the Public Sector Commission. A ' principal officer " (generally a chief executive officer) must notify the Public Sector Commission of suspected minor misconduct by a public officer. The PSC website provides useful information for people who are thinking about reporting minor misconduct.

You can also make an anonymous report of suspected minor misconduct to the PSC through Safe2Say. This encrypted platform (developed by Crime Stoppers WA) enables the PSC to seek additional information from individuals who report suspected minor misconduct without compromising confidentiality.

Before reporting allegations of misconduct, you may wish to speak with the PSC's Integrity Advisory Service, om 08 6552 8888

What is minor misconduct ?

As a guide, minor misconduct by a public officer includes:

  • behaviour that is not honest and impartial
  • misuse of information they have access to in their role for personal benefit
  • breaches of trust placed with and employee by their employer. 

Additionally to be considered minor misconduct the conduct could provide reasonable grounds for the public officers employment to be terminated as part of a disciplinary process.

When the Public Sector Commission assess allegations of misconduct they apply the strict legislated definitions of minor misconduct in section 4(d) of the Corruption, Crime and Misconduct Act 2003

Corruption and Crime Commission (CCC)

The Commission assesses, investigates and exposes serious misconduct in the Western Australian public sector. Corruption and misconduct generally occurs when a public officer abuses authority for personal gain, causes detriment to another person, or acts contrary to the public interest,

What is serious misconduct?

Serious misconduct is conduct by a public officer who:

  • acts corruptly or corruptly fails to act in the course of their duties; or
  • corruptly takes advantage of their office or employment to obtain a benefit or cause a detriment to any person; or
  • acting in the course of their duties or while deliberately creating the appearance of acting in the course of their duties , commits an offence punishable by two or more years imprisonment

For more information see the CCC website  You may report corruption to the CCC either online via the website or by email