Planning an event

A lot of work goes into planning a successful event, and as an organiser you need to be aware of what your obligations are. The City of Greater Geraldton wishes to support external community events as best as possible.

If you are planning an event please provide us with the following information and the City’s events team will respond to your enquiry within three working days to guide you through your application.Certain events have various logistical requirements and are considered high risk. High risk events can take up to eight weeks to assess, so please ensure to submit your application by this deadline. The City of Greater Geraldton will determine if your event is low risk, medium risk or high risk.


If you have any questions about planning an event, please refer to the FAQ section below.

What is considered a high risk event?

A high risk event has various logistical requirements such as stallholders, road closures and stages. You are required to submit an event application package eight weeks prior to your event.

You can download the most up to date application package from the Event Forms and Resources page.

[ Back to top ]

I’m planning a wedding/birthday party/gathering. Do I need to notify the City?

Depending on whether or not you are a high risk event with a stage or a marquee over 54 sqm, you will be required to complete an event application form. Otherwise, if it is a low risk gathering, there is no need to notify the City.

You can download the most up to date event application form from the Event Resources page.

Please note: you do not have exclusive rights to the location.

[ Back to top ]

What is a risk action plan and do I need one?

A risk action plan is a document that identifies all of the risks associated with the event and how the event organiser plans to address them. It is a requirement for all organisers to submit a risk action plan to the City.

You can find a risk action plan template in the Event Resources page.

[ Back to top ]

I want to host a sausage sizzle. What do I need to do?

You will need to complete an Environmental Health Food Act 2008 Notification of a Food Stall at least 5 working days prior to the proposed date of operation.

You can find the most up to date notification form, as well as a sausage sizzle fact sheet on the Event Resources page.

[ Back to top ]

Can I have petting animals at my event?

Yes, but there are strict guidelines that must be followed. A copy of the guidelines can be found on the Event Resources page.

[ Back to top ]

Can I have fireworks at my event?

Approval needs to be given by the Department of Mining and Petroleum (DMP), Department of Transport and the City of Greater Geraldton. If the location of the fireworks is intrusive of the Port, approval is required from the Port Authority by submitting a Stakeholder Approval for Fireworks, which is available on the Event Resources page.

For further clarifications on fireworks, visit the DMP website.

How do I organise temporary road closures?

You are required to complete an application form for roads controlled by the City of Greater Geraldton. Highways and other major roads will require approval from Main Roads WA. Visit the Event Forms and Resources page to download the relevant documents.

[ Back to top ]

Will the City help promote my event?

The City can provide spaces for you to display banners. In addition to this, the Geraldton Visitor Centre can promote your event on their website. Visit the Event Resources page to download the relevant forms.

[ Back to top ]

I would like to be a stallholder at the markets. How do I find out more?

You will need to get in contact with the organisers of the markets you wish to attend. A contact list can be obtained by contacting the Geraldton Visitor Centre by phone on (08) 9956 6670 or email

[ Back to top ]

Can I have alcohol at my event?

A permit to sell, serve or supply alcohol is required from the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor. Applications must be submitted at least 14 days prior to the event. Please contact the Department for more information on 1800 634 541 or

Permission for consumption of  alcohol should also be obtained from relevant organisations/individuals such as Local Government Authority, Clerk of Courts, Police and the premises owner.

If the event is taking place on Council land, reserve or building, you will also need to complete E011 Consent to Consume Alcohol on Council Property.

Related links:

Applying for a liquor licence (

Liquor | DLGSC

[ Back to top ]