Information Sheets

Navigate to the information you are seeking using the list below. If you cannot find what you are looking for please contact the City's Building Surveying Team at (08) 9956 6916

BS07 - Decking Information and Checklist

BS08 - Patio and Carport Information and Checklist

BS09 - Pergola and Shade Sail Information and Checklist

BS10 - Residential Dwelling or Dwelling Addition Information and Checklist

BS12 - Retaining Wall Information and Checklist

BS13 - Shed and Outbuilding Information and Checklist

BS14 - Swimming Pool and Spa Information and Checklist

Building permits for swimming pools, spas, and their associated fences

BS15 - Unauthorised Building Works Information and Checklist

BS16 - Demolition Application Information and Checklist

Free Access to National Construction Code (NCC)

The National Construction Code (NCC) provides the minimum necessary requirements for safety, health, amenity and sustainability in the design and construction of new buildings (and new building work in existing buildings) throughout Australia.

 The NCC comprises the Building Code of Australia (BCA), Volume One and Two; and the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA), as Volume Three.


  • Volume One: pertains primarily to Class 2 to 9 buildings which are commercial, industrial and multi-residential buildings.
  • Volume Two: pertains primarily to Class 1 and 10 buildings which are houses, sheds and carports.
  • Volume Three: pertains primarily to plumbing and drainage associated with all classes of buildings.

 Visit the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) website to access the free NCC 2019.


Dividing Fence

A dividing fence separates the residential land of different owners whether the fence is on the common boundary of adjoining lands or on a line other than the common boundary. A dividing fence does not include a retaining wall.

The erection and maintenance of dividing fences on the boundary are a matter between neighbours and as such are dealt with by the Dividing Fences Act 1961 which is administered by the Department of Commerce - Building Commission. Please visit the Building Commission web site for more information on dividing fences.

A Building Permit may be required for the construction for dividing fence and front fence. Please refer to the BS11 - Residential Fence Information and Checklist and the City's Local Planning Policy on Dividing Fences.

Smoke Alarm

The Building Regulations 2012 (the Regulations) require the owner of a dwelling to have compliant smoke alarms installed prior to the transfer of ownership; where a dwelling is rented under a residential tenancy agreement or made available for such rental; and where a dwelling is made available for hire.

Please visit the Department of Commerce website for more information on smoke alarm laws.