The City has both Gross Rental Value (GRV) and Unimproved Value (UV) properties, for the purposes of determining rates.

Unimproved Value of the land is the basis for valuing properties used primarily for rural purposes such as agriculture. Gross Rental Value applies to urban and other properties not used for rural purposes – for example not used primarily for agriculture.

The Valuation of Land Act 1978 requires the State Valuer General to provide fair and equitable valuations to assist the State and local government authorities in their assessment of property rates and taxes. The role of the Valuer General is limited to making and providing valuations to establish the equitable base for rates distribution.

Rural properties have their Unimproved Value updated by the Valuer general every year. Urban properties have their Gross rental Value revalued by Landgate, on behalf of the Valuer General, every 3 years.

Any building improvements to a GRV property will result in an increased rental valuation for example adding a swimming pool, shed, new house, or subdivision of urban land. When any changes occur between general valuations, interim valuations are undertaken by Landgate.

When your property valuation changes you will receive an Interim rates notice (yellow notice), which means your property’s GRV has changed. This notice does not replace your original rate notice; this is an extra notice which must be paid by the due date on the notice.

GRV is also used by the Water Corporation to determine residential sewerage rates and main drainage charges, and by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) to apply the Emergency Services Levy.

Note that formulation of budgets, the setting of Council rates in the dollar, or setting rates of State taxes and charges, are solely the responsibility of the issuing agency without any input or influence by the Valuer General or Landgate. Similarly, Councils have no influence nor control over the property valuation process, which is undertaken at arms-length by Landgate on behalf of the State Valuer General.

Property owners have the right to object to the valuation of their property, via Landgate, but to ensure full understanding of the process people are encouraged to discuss the basis of their valuation with Landgate prior to submitting a formal objection.

For more detailed information regarding property valuations, please call Landgate on 08 9273 7373 or visit the Landgate website.

2018-2021 City of Greater Geraldton Property Valuations

State Valuer General property valuations to apply for 2018 - 2021 for GRV properties were received in May 2018 by the City of Greater Geraldton.

As was the case at the time of the previous GRV revaluation in 2015, the new valuations show great diversity of increases and decreases, both across and within suburbs and localities, and across different property zonings.  Overall, there was a decrease (17.8%) in residential GRV new valuations compared to previous valuations in 2015.

In simple arithmetic terms, rates payable on a property are calculated by multiplying the GRV by the rate-in-the dollar. Hence, property owners experiencing an increase or lesser decrease (under the average decrease of 17.8%) in their property GRV would experience a spike in their City rates, paying a higher increase in rates than property owners who have experienced decreases at or above 17.8% in property gross rental value. The relative differences in rates payable, property to property, would occur regardless of the level of City rate-in-the-dollar.

Lodging an objection

As a property owner, if you think your Basis of Valuation (GRV) / Unimproved Valuation (UV) is incorrect, you can query it either by letter or by filling out the Objection to Valuation form and sending it to: The Valuer General, PO Box 2222, Midland WA 6936.

Download an Object to Valuation form from this this webpage of the Landgate website.

For more information, visit the Landgate website.

Objection against the Basis of Valuation applied to my property

If you decide to query your rates or interim notice, please keep the following in mind:

  1. Your written query must be made within 60 days from the date of issue of your Annual Rate Notice or Interim Rates. If you'd like more information, please contact the Valuer General's Office.
  2. You must still pay the required amount while your objection is being reviewed. If your rates are amended, an Interim Rate Notice will be sent to you.

Frequently asked questions

To access information to frequently asked questions, view the Putting the focus in your property valuation fact sheet as produced by Landgate.