Original Railway Station Restoration
Geraldton’s Original Railway Building has been beautifully restored as the new Geraldton Visitor Centre, with the building open to the public for the first time since 1999.
The West End icon, originally built in 1878, was the first railway station constructed on a Government line in WA.
More than one hundred and thirty years on, the building’s heritage has been preserved through careful restoration. The grand old building that has also served as a library and a museum has had a total refurbishment with many glorious heritage features exposed and preserved, including original stonework and floorboards.
The cost of the restoration was $2.13 million with the City of Greater Geraldton providing $1.03 million, WA State Government Royalties for Regions contributing $1 million and an additional $130,000 provided through the Commonwealth Government’s Regional Development Australia Fund as part of the overall allocation for the West End Revitalisation Project.
The works on the new building were completed by local contractors Geraldton Building Services and Cabinets, allowing the City to support local businesses and keep the money in the community.
The new Visitor Centre was officially opened on 3 February 2015.