Young people are an important part of the Geraldton community.
The City provides a range of programs and activities for young people to participate in and is keen to hear their ideas and opinions.
The City is always seeking input and feedback for events, activities, planning and proactive ideas for addressing young people’s needs and issues.
Youth Action Group
Young people are being encouraged to forward their Expression of Interest to become a member of the Youth Action Group (YAG) to help shape, contribute and create youth activities, programs & events and discuss youth issues and needs within the City of Greater Geraldton.
The YAG will be a group for young people led by young people with the support of City staff to assist with development of strategies and ideas.
The City will provide the members of the group the opportunity to be involved in current youth activities and events such as:
- Developing programs and sharing ideas to Celebrate National youth week, Australia Day Youth Space, Festive Season event/activities, School holiday programs, arts & culture events and engagement opportunities
- Young people to become advocates for the City of Greater Geraldton and assist with the promotion of youth opportunities
- Develop ownership and provide opportunities to empower and develop their skills and experience in community development, events planning and implementation.
- Volunteering opportunities through City lead projects
- Empower young people to become proactive and solution-focused in addressing youth needs and issues.
For further information about the Youth Action Group or to Express your interest please contact the City's Youth Vibrancy Officer (08) 9956 6786.
The City’s youth team is involved in events and programs including the School Holiday Program, Foreshore Vibrancy, U-Turn Project and Midnight Basketball.
National Youth Week
National Youth Week is the largest celebration of young people in Australia. The City with the support of YCN members hosts an event each year to celebrate successes, contributions, talents and opportunities of our young people.
For further information visit the National Youth Week website.
Open to people aged 12 to 18 years Midnight Basketball is a national program to help young people identify and embrace positive opportunities. The program is free and includes dinner, life-skill workshops and tournament basketball games. The tournament runs on Friday evenings during terms two and three.
Visit the Midnight Basketball website for tournaments dates and times.
Youth Coordinating Network
The Youth Coordinating Network (YCN) is a network of over forty Youth Service Providers within the City of Greater Geraldton region. The YCN is committed to providing sustainable services, information, news, advocacy and support for young people. YCN have a monthly meeting and for more information, contact the Youth Vibrancy Officer on (08) 9956 6786.