Retail Trading Hours
On 1 July 2017 deregulated trading hours will go into effect for a 12 month trail period (subject to Minister approval) to align with the trading hours currently approved for general retail shops in the Perth metropolitan area.
All shops are regarded as general retail shops unless they fall under any one of the other categories including: small retail shops, special retail shops, filling - service stations or motor vehicle shops.
- Traders do not have to open, however may choose when they open within the specified trading hours;
- 8.00 am – 9.00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday and Friday;
- 8.00 am – 5.00 pm on Saturday;
- 11.00 am – 5.00 pm on Sunday;
- 11.00 am – 5.00 pm on public holidays;
- CLOSED on Christmas Day, Good Friday and ANZAC Day
At the end of the 12 month trail period a review will be conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the deregulation of general retail trading hours as a means to stimulate economic activity and meet community needs and preferences.
Small Retail Shops
In part, small retail shops are shops owned by up to six people who operate no more than four retail shops, in which up to 25 people work at any one time (people employed as apprentices are not included in maximum permitted staffing numbers). Small retail shops may sell any goods other than motor vehicles.
To trade as a small retail shop, a certificate is required. Qualified applications will be processed promptly and free of charge. Shops in this category can trade 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
Special retail shops
Special retail shops are considered necessary for emergency, convenience or recreation goods. Special retail shops include:
- garden nurseries
- hardware and home improvement shops
- newsagencies and bookshops
- video shops
- art and craft shops
- souvenir and duty free shops
- shops at sports venues
- boating shops
- motor vehicle spare parts shops
- shops at international standard hotels
To trade as a special retail shop a certificate is required. Qualified applications will be processed promptly and free of charge. The list of the goods able to be sold are prescribed in the regulations. Trading hours: 6.00 am – 11:30 pm every day of the year.
Filling stations – service stations
Filling stations include any business that sells motor fuel. Filling station trading hours are deregulated in all areas. There are restrictions on the range of nonpetroleum goods which may be sold from filling stations after general retail shop trading hours.
Motor vehicle shops – car yards
A motor vehicle shop includes any shop where motor vehicles are sold. Trading hours:
- 8.00 am – 6.00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- 8.00 am – 9.00 pm on Wednesday
- 8.00 am – 1.00 pm on Saturday
- CLOSED on Sundays and public holidays