Services > Building

Thinking of Building?

Be sure to download the Thinking of Building checklist.

When is a Building Permit Required?

A building permit is required for all structures including alterations, additions, swimming pools and spas – either above or below ground.

Unless not required under the Building Regulation 2012 – Part 6.

When is Planning Approval Required?

All land in the City of Greater Geraldton falls under Town Planning Scheme controls, so if you are considering erecting a building or intend using land for a purpose different to its current use please contact the Town Planning Services team first. You may need to lodge a development application and planning approval may need to be obtained before taking any further action.

Fees and Charges

Download a list of our current Fees and Charges.

Checklists and Other Helpful Hints

Building Act 2011

The commencement of the Building Act 2011 on 2 April 2012 introduces a new building approval process for Western Australia bringing significant changes to the building approvals process, from the design stage right through to occupation of a building.

The Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012 replace the Building Regulations 1989 and much of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960, and amends a range of associated acts.

It's important to consult the permit authority (ie. City of Greater Geraldton) or a registered building surveyor to ensure you obtain correct advice about the plans and processes you need to follow prior to lodging a permit application.

For more information on the Building Act 2011 please visit the Department of Commerce – Building Commission Website


Building Department Fees 2014-2015


Thinking of Building Checklist